I’m a huge fan of Nicolas Winding Refn’s Drive film, and most of his other film’s too. He’s got a knack for perfect casting, a good eye for stylish visuals and an even better ear for music. The nineteen track soundtrack for Drive is comprised of five artist songs, including the killer opener, Kavinksy – Nightcall, and the rest by composer Cliff Martinez. Martinez simply doesn’t know how to make shit music, and I’ve been a fan of his stark scores for a few years now – to name but a few, Sex, Lies and Videotape, Traffic, Only God Forgives and The Neon Demon – the latter two also being Refn films and the former being Steven Soderbergh films, with whom Martinez has worked with on many projects. On Drive, they created something special. They created an atmosphere and a narrative on it’s own. James Verniere of the Boston Herald wrote, “The cool crowd isn’t just watching Drive; they’re listening to it, too. The Drive soundtrack is such an integral part of the experience of the film, once you see it, you can’t imagine the film without it.”
And then this asshole came along.
BBC Radio 1’s Zane Lowe thought it would be great idea to go ahead and rescore one of the greatest film soundtracks of all time… And yeah, it is a great idea, in theory. Everybody thinks they can do a better job at it. Sounds fun. We’d all like to be heroes. But no thanks, Zane Lowe, you went and fucked it up and ruined our lives. What a tremendous asshole.
Here’s a link to what BBC Radio 1 reckons is “the music behind Zane Lowe’s brilliant musical makeover of the film Drive.”
Fucknuts. Why are you always trying to break things?
Anyway, I can’t do a better job at rescoring anything either, except for 50 Shades Of Grey, but I can give you a little playlist I made inspired by the film and the music. Let me know who did it better.
- Muse – Madness
- Daemon Hatfield – In Fact It Was You
- Crystal Castles ft. Robert Smith – Not In Love
- Future Islands – Seasons (Waiting On You)
- Röyskopp ft. Jamie Irresponsible – Something In My Heart
- Jefferson Airplane – Somebody To Love
- College ft. Electric Youth – A Real Hero
- Desire – Under Your Spell
- Joy Division – Love Will Tear Us Apart
- Firehorse – Bloodstream
- Studio Killers – Flawless
- Phantogram – When I’m Small
- Electric Youth – The Best Thing
- Tears For Fears – Pale Shelter
- The Raveonettes – Lust
- Tame Impala – Feels Like We Only Go Backwards
- Cigarettes After Sex – Nothing’s Gonna Hurt You Baby
- Soft Metals – The Cold World Melts